How to get a Library Card

KFL requires proof of residency, owning property/paying taxes, or renter status as defined below. Acceptable proof includes, but is not limited to, a lease, mortgage bill, tax bill, or utility bill mailed to the address used for residency. Those employed at any business in the Town of Kennebunk or Town of Arundel are also eligible for a card but must present documentation of their employment in addition. Students at public or private schools in Kennebunk or Arundel or homeschooled in these two towns can also get a KFL card.

Any applicant who has an outstanding balance of unreturned items that have reached billed status at another Minerva library will be required to settle that account prior to opening an account with Kennebunk Free Library.

By signing the borrower's card application, the patron agrees to the Library's lending policies. Possession of a library card is implied permission to use that card. That is, if a family member presents another family member's card, we assume they have permission of the card owner.

For registration of children age 13 and younger, we require a proof of identity and signature of a parent or legal guardian. With this signature the parent or legal guardian agrees to the responsibility of all fines and replacement costs in the event the child is not able to meet these responsibilities.

At age 14, children are eligible for an adult registration. Adult registrations convey that the card holder is responsible for that card.

There is a $1.00 charge to replace a lost card.

Residents are:

  • Persons who own property and pay real estate taxes or personal property taxes in Arundel, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, or Wells regardless of primary domicile; or
  • Persons who rent residential property in Arundel, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, or Wells as their primary residence. This does not include persons who are seasonal renters
  • Employees working in the towns of Kennebunk or Arundel regardless of residence.
  • Students attending RSU 21 or a private school in Kennebunk or Arundel regardless of residence.

Non-Residents are:

  • Persons who do not pay real estate taxes or personal property taxes in Arundel, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, or Wells; or
  • Persons who rent property on a seasonal basis e.g. seasonal beach renters.

Non-residents may register for a library card at an annual fee of $40 for 1 year or $25 for 3 months, which may include all family members. Non-resident borrowers will be given all the privileges and responsibilities of a resident borrower’s card. 1-year and 3-months will be calculated as of the date of registration not a set date.

Effective 8/31/21