Mission Statement

Vision

The vision of the Kennebunk Free Library is to serve the diverse cultural, informational, educational, and recreational needs of the community.

Mission

The Kennebunk Free Library serves the diverse cultural, informational, educational, and recreational needs of the community by:

  • developing and promoting the use of resources including books, technology, films, informational materials, programs, displays, and community exhibit space that contribute to literacy, informed citizenship, and lifelong learning;
  • providing educational opportunities and engagement for people of all ages;
  • offering expert and personal assistance; and
  • providing inviting and accessible facilities.

 

Adopted by the Board of Trustees, October 25, 2011


Library History
Kennebunk Free Library Time Line

1800's

  • March 1881-February 1882 – Reading Room in Cobby's Store (now Salon 96 area), started by Rev. Edmund Worth and Ladies Circle.
  • 1881 – Women's Christian Temperance Union organized meetings to proceed with establishing the library, following State requirements.
  • April 19, 1882-October 1888 – Free Library Association of Kennebunk established on second floor of Sargent/Ross building.
  • 1888-1907 – Library was housed at Walker Hall, a gift of Andrew Walker, willed $10,000 to the library.
  • 1892 – Town appropriates funds from dog tax for library use, $176.
  • 1898 – Town appropriates annual funding to the library, $200.

1900's

  • 1906 – The cornerstone for new library, gift of George Parsons, was laid.  George Parsons' portrait hangs in the Reading Room
  • 1907 – Dedication of new library at Main and Fletcher Streets. "I went into the library today…It is so satisfactory, so appropriate and adequate in every way, it makes you want to shout. It couldn't be better, it is perfect.” (Henry Andrews to Henry Parsons)
  • 1916 – The Library collection reaches 10,000, and circulation at 20,000
  • 1919 – First story-telling hour is hosted for children.
  • 1955 – The Incorporation of the Kennebunk Free Library is ratified and confirmed from 1882.
  • 1957 – The Board of Trustees votes on the first woman trustee president – Mrs. Helen MacDonald.
  • 1958 – Space renovated to create the first Children's Room. Ruth Nickerson is hired as the first Children's Librarian.
  • 1974 –The Library is entered in National Register of Historical Places.
  • 1978 – The Friends of the Library group is first formed.
  • 1984 – The Library purchases its first computer (Commodore 64) for patron use.
  • 1985 – Plans for library expansion began.
  • 1986 – Marier land was purchased for future KFL expansion.
  • 1992 – Webhannet Woman's Club donates land for KFL expansion
  • 1993 - $1,000,000 Capital Campaign for expansion begins and the Town of Kennebunk approves $900,000 bond.
  • October 1994-October 1995 The Library moves to their temporary home on Water Street during building expansion.
  • November 1994 – Ground breaking for expansion.
  • October 15, 1995 – Dedication ceremonies for new expansion

We invite you to tour our facility which preserves many of the fine features of the old library building, while offering library resources for the our time and beyond.